First, Search or Browse to locate an occupational profile.
The following describes the information on each tab of the profile.
• “What they do” tab will help to answer “what tasks and activities are performed in this occupation?”
• "How to become one" will help you answer “What skills/talents are required? Do you possess them or do you need to learn them? If you don’t have the skills, how difficult is it to acquire those skills? What are your job prospects? In other words, what does demand/supply look like for this occupation for the upcoming 5-10 years? How difficult is it to get into this occupation?”
• "Job Outlook" will answer “What is the typical career trajectory (i.e., career path) for this occupation? How much job security is likely in this occupation?”
• "Pay" answers “What is the expected level of compensation –both short- and long-term? Provide a range, if possible.”
• "Work Environment" at the bottom of the page, the Work schedule section will help answer “What kind of work-life balance can you expect?”
• "More Info" links to professional organizations and the page on O*Net for the profession.
Use occupation quick search in the upper right hand corner. Detailed reports provide the importance of each item. This report will also provide many answers to your questions. Check out Wages & Employment Trends to see projected job openings and wages for 2022 at the national and state levels.
See U.S. vs. state level salaries, employment trends, more about knowledge, skills, abilities, - looks similar to O*net but pulls info from other sources. For example, some reports include distribution of educational attainment (how many people in the field have advanced degrees).
Also produced by the BLS, the Career Outlook, has articles on many (not all occupations). If there's one available for your occupation, you will a brief article including - What they people in your occupation do, How they prepare, What to expect, and related content.
IBISWorld is a collection of industry profiles that are detailed down to small industries. Search for your industry and select the best match, read the industry definition and activities on the first page of the report to ensure you have the correct industry report. Within each report, look at the Industry Outlook tab to answer that specific question about the industry outlook.
Requires Account - click enter (lower right). Make sure your pop-ups are unblocked. Once logged in, this is a gateway to a richer deeper site - your PA login won't work here, but if you are logged in to the PA site, you can just go here - https://www.virtualjobshadow.com